Post-Easter Update (Part 2): Giving Thanks


It's a custom for almost every Catholic Filipino to visit at least 7 churches during Maundy Thursday, so last April 18 we did exactly that. And we had an extra good reason to go to church that day: we wanted to give thanks to God for giving us the miracle of life and the gift of family, something that we appreciate now more than ever since my father passed away 10 years ago and my sister getting diagnosed with cancer 5 years later. The last decade has been really difficult for our family, yet through God's unending love and our love for one another, we survived, now stronger than ever.


Our first stop was in the town of Ramos in Tarlac, to visit the Shrine of St. Therese of the Child Jesus. Then we visited the nearby churches in the province of Tarlac, then crossing the provincial border to the province of Pangasinan to visit some churches in the towns of Binalonan and Urdaneta, before we headed back to my hometown of Angeles City to visit 2 more churches.

(Sanctuary of the Holy Face of Jesus in Nampicuan, Nueva Ecija)

(Sto. NiƱo Parish Church in Binalonan, Pangasinan)

(Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception in Urdaneta City, Pangasinan)

(Holy Rosary Cathedral in Angeles City, Pampanga)

We visited 7 churches in all. And in every church I prayed that God would continue to bless my sister and give her, her family, and my family as well, a long, happy, and healthy life.


And of course Holy Week in my province would not be complete without seeing a "magdarame" in the streets. But there were not as many of them as last year due to the extreme heatwave that we have been experiencing. Summer 2019 is really excruciatingly hot!


And for the sad news: on Monday, April 22, a rather strong earthquake struck Central Luzon. I was already back in Manila just lounging in my apartment when everything started to shake rather violently. Luckily me and my family were unharmed, but the towns of Porac and Lubao in my home province of Pampanga weren't as lucky. So far, 16 casualties have been confirmed, and a few people are still missing. I haven't experienced a strong quake since way back in 1990 (that was a stronger tremor that claimed thousands of lives) but the earthquake last Monday has still left me in a state of shock and fear. Living on the top floor of a 23-storey apartment building doesn't help with the nerves! But I know I will be alright. I pray to the heavens every night to keep us safe. And I hope the you who is reading this right now will have us in your prayers as well.


Comments

Popular Posts